shit! (coarse exclamation of annoyance or disgust)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 5 15:02:52 UTC 2010

"Oh, shitte!" appears (in fancifully Elizabethan spelling) in Mark Twain's
"1601" (written ca1880).

I'm too lazy to check, but I believe that's the earliest unequivocal ex. in
my files.

Garson's suggestion is very reasonable.  Possibly more reasonable, because
it would have been a direct challenge to the umpire.

Regarding a less frequent excremental idiom:

*1799  *Old Bailey Proceedings*  [
http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/images.jsp?doc=179909110059]:  Now, you
sh----n son of a b-----, where is your ten pound duck now?  1938 Ezra Pound
in Brita Lindberg-Seyersted, ed., *Pound/Ford: The Story of a Literary
Friendship * (N.Y.: New Directions, 1982) 159: It is a shitten outrage that
Johnnie Adams’ letters are out of print.

In modern times, this is spelled "shittin'."

JL