shit! (coarse exclamation of annoyance or disgust)

Mon Sep 6 01:51:06 UTC 2010

GAT: > In the 1950s, if someone knocked over a cup of coffee, one did not
> hear a loud Oh Shit! -- or if one did, it was likely to be followed by an
> embarrassed "Pardon my French".  The Knickerbocker who was fined for saying
> Shit! may not have been directing it at the umpire or expressing displeasure
> at a call.  He might have stubbed his toe on a base.

JL: > Very true, but our families may have been atypically prudish. ***

I wasn't thinking of dinner table conversation in the Thompson household, but talk to be heard in public places.  In the dorm rooms of Myles Standish Hall in 1959-1960, one heard all sorts of coarse vulgarity, but these same boys would avoid such talk in public places, and reprove a friend who uttered "shit" audibly in mixed company.
The boys of Myles Standish might have been behind the flood of history in this respect,rather than riding the breaking wave, but surely there was a change in decorum about that time, and a sharp change at that.

GAT

George A. Thompson