s---k pot, 1805 (?)

Mon Sep 6 18:35:10 UTC 2010

I also came across a "sting pot" reference that seems to be related to
naval warfare in 1757. Perhaps it is an alternative spelling or
pronunciation.

At one o'Olock she made a third Attack, (hoisting a Bloody Flag and
shewing her Sting-pot at the Bowsprit-end)

http://books.google.com/books?id=U-_lAAAAMAAJ&q=%22sting+pot%22#v=snippet&