Modern Proverb: The future is already here, it's just unevenly distributed (attrib William Gibson 1995 Sept 1)

Mon Sep 6 23:48:48 UTC 2010

Many thanks for finding and posting that fascinating cite, Fred. I
have never heard the name Doug Kalish associated with the quotation.
Spurred by your fine result I located an attribution to Gibson in
1994:

1994 April 3, The Seattle Times, Job Opportunities Along the
Information Superhighway by Steven Spenser, Seattle, Washington.

Ultimately, cyberpunk science-fiction author William Gibson may have
the best assessment of what's going on: "The future has arrived - it's
just not evenly distributed yet."

Thanks to Jon for the reference to MST3K. I did find a 1998 episode
with a short feature set at a World's Fair that includes a monorail
ride and "futuristic" telephone features. But it is not the episode
you mention because there are no moving sidewalks:

Filmed in 1962 during the Seattle World's Fair. A promotional film for
the Bell System circuit-switched telephone network, a trademark of
AT&T. Directed by Robert W. Larsen.

http://mst3k.wikia.com/wiki/The_Space_Children
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1881547959631767401#

Garson