s---k pot, 1805 (?)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 7 12:27:57 UTC 2010

Yes. I recall mutterings (no more than that) from my grandmother that "It
stinks!" was "not a nice expression."

Now it's seen, presumably, as a sissy euphemism for "It sucks!"

(Offensive children were occasionally called "stinkpots" in my playground.
Actual aroma was not an issue.  Sailing enthusiasts refer to motorboats as
"stinkpots.")

JL