"playboy" [Was: article on the name "America"]

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 8 22:21:27 UTC 2010

Here's an unusually clear example of the sense "feckless fellow who plays
about," essentially the same as my history teacher's usage fifteen or so
years later:

1945 Ernie Pyle _Last Chapter_ (N.Y.: Henry Holt, 1946) 80: Our weeks of
monotony and waiting were at an end. The daily briefings of the pilots
became more detailed. There was less playboyishness among the crew. Ordinary
ship's rules were changed to battle rules.

That's eight years before Hefner's _Playboy_ evidently began to alter the
nuance of the word.

JL