Quote: Doris Day - before she became a virgin (antedating Oscar Levant 1965)

Fri Sep 10 16:43:38 UTC 2010

I’ve been around so long, I knew Doris Day before she was a virgin.

Groucho Marx is credited with this jape in The Yale Book of Quotations
and the Oxford Dictionary of Humorous Quotations based on a 1972
citation. Here is a 1965 cite that suggests Oscar Levant may have
originated a version of the quip. Google Books was initially
recalcitrant in providing guidance, but I found the quotation on
paper.

Cite: 1965, The Memoirs of an Amnesiac by Oscar Levant, Page 192, G.P.
Putnam's Sons, New York. (Verified on paper in 1965 edition)

My last picture for Warners was Romance on the High Seas. It was Doris
Day's first picture; that was before she became a virgin. She
demonstrated her talents as a superb comedienne and song stylist in
that picture and it was no surprise that she became one of the biggest
Hollywood stars.

Garson