"salting"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Sep 11 13:59:46 UTC 2010

At 9/10/2010 06:35 PM, George Thompson wrote:
>We English majors -- some of us, anyway -- would call this a
>conjectural emendation, and it's an excellent one.

In other words, a critical edition?  :-)

>I was reading this from a microfilm, not from the EAN database.

Yes, I've found that it's a lot easier to read, or to browse, from microfilm.

Often when some antedating (or other use) turns up here near or
before about 1830, I look in EAN, for two reasons:  (1)  It just
might appear -- and perhaps earlier --  in a colonial newspaper; and
my impression, perhaps incorrect, is that EAN is not infrequently
neglected here;  (2)  I can access EAN from home, but not most of the
other useful databases.

In this case, since George had not favored us with the garbled
portion, I was curious to see for myself.  That only required
"search", and fortunately the number of true positives was greater than zero.

Joel