service = 'benefit afforded by animal activity'; synchronicity = 'conjunction; intertwining'

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 11 23:27:35 UTC 2010

I suppose the exx. are theoretically identical, but today's plurality
of number, the collocation with "provide" and the construction "X services"
conveys a very different image, at least to me/

Also, the 1919 quote has a literary flavor that the young lady's remarks did
not. My impression was that she and her colleagues talk about "providing
services" all the time.

JL