Democrat Party

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 13 12:04:12 UTC 2010

I don't see an online transcript yet, but a day or say ago _All Things
Considered_ interviewed some Nevada political figure who (like every
Republican for years) uses the phrase "the Democrat Party" exclusively.  For
once, a journalist challenged this. (I think they should challenge it every
time: it's plainly not just a "pronunciation" issue.)

His reponse was, predictably, that the "Democratic Party" isn't very
"democratic." When informed that many people felt that "Democrat Party" was
intentionally derisive, he said that he hadn't known that and he would quit
saying it. Adding something like, "but I'm likely to forget next time."

No further comment is needed.

JL