"born again" and "rebirth" (n)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Sep 15 02:05:39 UTC 2010

At 9/14/2010 09:27 PM, Dave Wilton wrote:
>It's a different entry. The entry dating from 1961 is the adjective
>"born-again," which the etymology does cite as "after John iii.3".

Surely some of the instances in the 17th and 18th century belong
directly under "born-again (a)".  Or if not there then under "born
a." at 2.b., "born again".

>The biblical usage is under the entry for the participle and adjective
>"born." The theological phrase "to be born again," is dated to Wycliffe's
>1382 translation.

Yes I missed this previously -- "born, pple. and a.": sense 2.b.  But I note:

1)  What does the 1282 Wyclif use mean -- undergo a religious
experience, testify to it, and be admitted to the communion of some
church?  (In the Puritan, become a visible saint.)  I suspect not.

2)  Aside from the various translations of John, just one of which
uses "borne againe", none of the other quotations, which are 1593 to
1859, actually use the word "again"!

I suggest that at the least "born again" is not sufficiently
documented here, and belongs also under "born-again (a)".

A search in the OED for "born-again" yields 18 quotations before the
first (1961) of "born-again, a.", under various
head-words.  And  *none* of these instances are under "born pple., a.".

Joel