an historical (pronouncing the h)

Geoff Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Wed Sep 15 10:29:06 UTC 2010

True anecdote.
As an undergraduate student at the University of Toronto in the late sixties, I explored the library of the Linguistics program (not yet a department), headed by one Martin Joos (some of you may know the name). In it there was a copy of the once-famous pamphlet by Victor Yngve about center-embedding, entitled

A model and a hypothesis for language structure.

It was Joos's copy, and he had written in pencil on the cover 'whoever wrote this had a tin ear'.

Although Joos is long gone, Vic is still working and I see him occasionally at conferences.

Pulled from J-Stor for those interested:

    • A Model and an Hypothesis for Language Structure
    • Victor H. Yngve
    • Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society Vol. 104, No. 5 (Oct. 17, 1960), pp. 444-466 (article consists of 23 pages)
    • Published by: American Philosophical Society
    • Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/985230

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Professor, Linguistics Program