Blushing in 1915

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Sep 15 14:07:35 UTC 2010

George,

How much blushing -- that is, use of asterisks or dashes -- was there
in newspapers of the first decades of the twentieth century?  (I do
see it frequently enough in 18th-century newspapers, although not
merely for taboo words but also in personal names with the presumed
motive of avoiding libel action.)

Joel