Bert Kelly's Jaz Band (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 15 14:22:21 UTC 2010

I don't think of vaudeville jazz musicians of 1915-16 (like the ODJB) as
being especially "cool" or as thinking of themselves in that way.  They were
more like musical comedians.

Bert Kelly's style of "jazz" was evidently more mellow, but it's unclear to
me just how "jazzy" it was.  Remember that some of the N.O. musicians who
played what we now think of as "jazz" seem to have kept calling it "ragtime"
for years.

The matching of the word with musical styles then and later is not very
straightforward.

JL