recently found

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Fri Sep 17 18:41:11 UTC 2010

I'd analyze "jet propulse" as the same kind of back-formation so well-attested in verbs like "sleepwalk" and "bartend," except that instead of removing an "-er" or "-ing", a "-sion" has been removed. Even this has precedent in verbs like "gay marry" (discussed by Arnold Zwicky in numerous messages here and blog posts that I won't try to find and link right now). The only thing that I find weird is that the backformed verb isn't "jet propel", withnthe existence of "propel" blocking "propulse". Oh, well, we have "repel/repulse", so maybe this is a step toward a full set of doublets: compel/compulse, impel/impulse.

Neal Whitman