propulse and ink

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Sep 17 21:57:34 UTC 2010

This is definitely Natalie Angier's [with an n] style, which I think
I could recognize even not on the science pages of the NYT.  Yes
definitely a little fringy (she's the one with the bogarting
tamarinds), but I admire her writing.

And perhaps not fringy, but just rare:  The OED has propulse (v) "2.
trans. To drive or push forward or onward; to impart motion to; to
propel. rare."  Natalie's use is reflexive with the obvious object
("itself") omitted.

The OED does not (yet) have the verb "ink" as intransitive, but
Natalie's use is not far from "1. a. trans. To mark, stain, or smear
with or as with ink."

Joel