Dialect clash

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 20 05:41:54 UTC 2010

"Can't Get No Grindin' (What's The Matter With The _Meal_?)"

Title of a song by Muddy Waters. The main title and the words of the
song make it clear that the subtitle should read "... Mill."

OTOH, the song by him originally titled, "_Manish_ Boy," in line with
the singer's pronunciation, as in the subtitle of the above song, has
been modified to read "_Mannish_ Boy," in line with standard
pronunciation, presumably because of its greater popularity among
white people.

The song, "One Way Out," also known as "It's a Man Down There," was
popular in L.A. in a version in which the singer pronounced "man" as
[mejn]: "It's a _mane_ down there." I've located this song under both
titles by several different bluesmen, black and white, and not one
pronounces "man" so that it falls together with "mane."

WTF? Youneverknow.
--
-Wilson
–––