"Rough men stand ready . . ." (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon Sep 20 18:27:17 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

I'm away from my copy, so forgive me if YBQ has already covered this (I
don't see it in the ADS-L archives).

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men
stand ready to do violence on their behalf." I've seen this (and close
variants) attributed to George Orwell and Rudyard Kipling.  Wikipedia
has a short investigation here:
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/List_of_misquotations

_The Washington Times_ April 6, 1993 p F3 col unk (Newsbank)
"As George Orwell pointed out, people sleep peacefully in their beds at
night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their
behalf."

Chicago IL _Daily Herald_ 11/23/1998 p 17 col 5. (narchive)
"Remember George Orwell's unminced words: "We sleep safely in our beds
because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those
who would do us harm." (from a syndicated George Will column).