JEEP again

Mon Sep 20 22:33:07 UTC 2010

Here is a link to the January 1998 letters section of the Atlantic
containing a response from J. E. Lighter about the etymology of Jeep:

http://www.theatlantic.com/past/issues/98jan/9801lett.htm

J. E. Lighter replies:
The word jeep made its debut in Elzie Segar's comic strip Thimble
Theatre Starring Popeyeon March 3, 1936, as the cry of a small,
odd-looking creature soon identified as "Eugene the Jeep."

Acknowledging Segar, the Halliburton Oil Well Cementing Company built
a "Jeep" truck in 1937. Army command cars and heavy gun tractors were
called "jeeps" in 1940-1941, as were raw recruits. ...

There is more information about Jeep on the webpage at the Atlantic
website (Scroll to near the bottom). Of course there may be one or
more additional articles in the Atlantic that are relevant.

Garson