sponsor

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 21 17:09:30 UTC 2010

Another atypical recent example that seems to illustrate OED 1.a., which, as
previously, noted is supported by just two cites, both from the 1880s. I
believe it needs to be divided further, since providing (actual financial)
surety for is a rather different concept from merely supporting strongly.

2008  Tony Hoagland _Real Sofistakashun_ (St. Paul. Minn.: Graywolf Press)
19: [The poet] considers the welfare of the culture as a whole, which
he...recognizes is...in need of preservation and sponsorship.

JL