"just one letter away"

Wed Sep 22 16:46:43 UTC 2010

Here is an example of  "just one letter away" transformative word play
in the 1600's and the same example in 1900.

The introduction to the "Collected Writings" of Elizabeth Jane Weston
(2000) says "one indication of her eminence is the fact that Thomas
Farnaby's 1634 list of eminent ancient and modern writers, his Index
Poeticus, published in London, includes her as one of only seven
English writers, and the only woman of any place or time.". Excerpt:

The merest trifle sets kindred spirits at odds:
  a single letter's difference changes eros to eris.

http://books.google.com/books?id=MhDq26Ua1tQC&q=eros#v=snippet&

A few centuries later:

1900 January, Everybody's Magazine, The Twenty-Seventh Letter of the
Alphabet by Lucy Cleveland, Page 3, The North American Company, New
York.

Come to think of it, there's just one letter that differentiates eris
and eros: discord and desire.

http://books.google.com/books?id=RGoXAQAAIAAJ&q=eris#v=snippet&

Admittedly, the first transformation is not a "humorous formula"
unless it is a melancholy humor.

Garson