How NOT to write a teach-yourself grammar

Randy Alexander strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 24 11:44:46 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 1:45 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> "The syllabic segment /e/, a front mid vowel, is pronounced similarly
> to ,,, English _e_ as in _end_."
>

> As in "*end*"?! So, it's a nasalized, lax, high front vowel. Probably
> not really what the authors int[I]nd. And it's not possible to tell
> whether they really have in mind "... as in _gate_ or "... as in
> _get_." More likely the latter. But,

The vowel in _gate_ (/ei/) and the vowel in _end_ (/E/) are not the
same phoneme.  But _get_ and _end_ do share the same phoneme vowel
/E/.

Is this publication British (where there /E/ and /e/ are much closer
than in the US)?

--
Randy Alexander
Xiamen, China