How NOT to write a teach-yourself grammar

David Wake dwake at STANFORDALUMNI.ORG
Fri Sep 24 16:45:36 UTC 2010

IPA can be used phonemically, or even diaphonemically, rather than phonetically.

For example, Wikipedia's pronunciation scheme attempts to do this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:IPA_for_English

David