"fruit leather"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Sep 27 03:01:39 UTC 2010

At 9/26/2010 09:56 PM, Victor Steinbok wrote:
>  OK, answering my own question: trademarked in 1977 and since abandoned
>(as of 2005). The mark was initially registered along with FRUIT LEATHER
>STRETCH ISLAND FRUIT TANNERY and STRETCH ISLAND FRUIT LEATHER. Did you
>mean 1982, Joel? That certainly would be quite late.
>
>The 1892 reference you found actually has imitation fruit made from
>leather, not vice versa.

And I assumed, without looking any further into the 19th century,
that *all* the 1890s hits I found from California came from  fruit,
for which California is well known, not from cows.  Silly me.

>There is a 1893 listing: http://bit.ly/c9CY9C

This surely is fruit, being preceded by many listings of dried fruit
and followed not by cattle byproducts but by another fruit and
several nuts (no one's name being used).

In any case, it seems to be quite often spoken and written these
days.  And clearly is edible.  Look for it at your local Amazon.com.

Joel