"sucrye of strabyrs", 1683

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 27 20:00:08 UTC 2010

FWIW, in and around the greater Boston area - you may not notice this,
because you're hyperaccustomed - to coin a word - to it, *many* people
pronounce _-berry -bury_ as unstressed [bri]. Hence, reading
_strabyrs_ as an attempt by a semi-literate woman to write
['strO,briz] or some such seems to me a reasonable WAG. I'd also buy
_sucrye_ as an attempt at a pronunciation-spelling of a
spelling-pronunciation [sukri/Sukri], though I have no reason to
believe that any such pronunciation ever existed. WTF, this is just
another WAG. But...

Youneverknow.
--
-Wilson