Three guys from Iwo Jima

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 28 01:34:58 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 8:09 PM, Jonathan Lighter
<wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sender: Â  Â  Â  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster: Â  Â  Â  Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject: Â  Â  Â Re: Three guys from Iwo Jima
>
> Memory. And I was not quite accurate. There were *six* guys in the photo,
> and *two* were obscured, one almost to the point of invisibility.
>
> Run the film clip at Wacki and you'll see:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Raising_the_Flag_on_Iwo_Jima_(color).ogg
>
> The associated article addresses the "staging" controversy too. I was right
> about that.
>
> JL

 Well, as I've said, I'm already fully persuaded that the photo, with
the emendations that you've already noted, is genuine and is not, in
any reasonable sense of the word relevant here, a "staging."

I was under the impression that you were working from memory, but I
had to be *sure*! ;-)

-Wilson

All say, "How hard it is that we have to die!"–a strange complaint to
–Mark Twain