"blue laws", 1755

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 29 00:38:56 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 3:49 PM, Garson O'Toole
<adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com> wrote:

> all different Persuasions do ... pay our Ministers

It seems to me that the above phrase bears a certain, well, *Islamic*
cast. But, having studied the history of Christianity (read: "The One
True Faith") during the reign of triple-tiara-edd Pope Pius XII, it
may be the case that I've been propagandized into the erroneous belief
that Islam permits the practice of other religions only upon payment
of a tax.

It probably goes without saying that some of my best friends are Muslim. Really!

(I'm assuming that the above partial quotation was meant satirically.
In this case, at least. Back in the day, the beliefs and practices of
post-Arian, "heretical" forms of Christianity, once that the
"Protestant Revolt" had been noted in passing, were treated somewhat
cavalierly, to understate the case. Hence, the only thing that I
know(?) about Puritanism is that Christmas was not a big deal to that
faith.)

--
-Wilson
–––