"You are what you speak"

Sun Apr 3 17:04:03 UTC 2011

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Laurence Horn wrote:

> Geoff Nunberg's (largely) favorable review of _YOU ARE WHAT YOU
> SPEAK: Grammar Grouches, Language Laws, and the Politics of
> Identity_, by the journalist Robert Lane Greene (with input from
> Language Log's Mark Liberman along the way) is at
> http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/03/books/review/book-review-you-are-what-you-speak-by-robert-lane-greene.html

And in the same issue, my back-page essay on slang lexicography,
focusing on Green's Dictionary of Slang:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/03/books/review/slanguage-books-review.html

Also of potential interest, a podcast I did with Book Review editor
Sam Tanenhaus (you can skip over that Kissinger guy):

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/01/books-podcast-and-video-henry-kissinger/

And here's a short piece I did on the 1699 slang dictionary recently
republished by the Bodleian:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/01/the-dulpickles-and-nigmenogs-of-1699/

--bgz

--