"fellow" = "A black man"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Apr 5 17:11:37 UTC 2011

At 4/4/2011 05:33 PM, Dan Goncharoff wrote:
>Why would "fellow" in these examples be defined as anything more than a
>euphemism for "man" or "person", especially when it is taking modifiers such
>as "Mulatto" or "Negro"?

I think my previous message also answers Dan's question.  In EAN,
there is just one advertisement (over its 130-plus-year time span)
where "fellow" takes the modifier "white".  There are thousands where
it takes the modifier "Negro", "mulatto", or "black".  (Admittedly,
when no modifier/description was present, the presumption was
"white", so "fellow" without a modifier would refer to a white -- but
necessarily of the unesteemed lower classes (see OED, 10 a, b, c): a
white of the middling classes was a "man" or a "woman".)

(For "white fellow", I have -- I think properly -- excluded
quotations where "fellow" is itself a modifier, as in "white fellow
citizens".  These are instances (as the OED says) of "attrib. and
Comb. C1. appositively (quasi-adj.)", specifically "c. (with n. of
relative signification.) Denoting a person or thing that stands in
the designated relation to the same object as another; Also
<http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/69097#eid4596719>fellow-citizen n.".)

A little more research in EAN -- advertisements with:
      British fellow  --   0
      English fellow --   0 (eliminating the 1 false positive)
      Irish fellow     --   1 (eliminating the 2 false positives;
more frequent is "Irishman" -- 1,340 hits)
      yellow fellow  --   I did not attempt to count among the 278
hits.  Some persons are called a "Negro" and then physically
described as a "yellow fellow".  "Brown fellow" also appears (but in
only one ad, 5 appearances) to describe skin color.

Joel