"Close, but no cigar."

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Apr 7 13:30:16 UTC 2011

At 2:36 AM -0400 4/7/11, Wilson Gray wrote:
>I had to ask what that meant, when I first heard it, and it's still
>slightly mysterious.

I've always assumed there was a game show, perhaps on the radio or
early TV, in which those who give correct answers or otherwise win
were awarded with cigars, but I have no idea on the specifics.  Does
anyone remember (or at least know) whether such a show existed?
(Google sites suggest the use of cigars as prizes in carnival games,
in which case it's unclear why the expression never shifted to "Close
but no stuffed animal".)

LH