"It is crispy and ridiculous!"

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Thu Apr 7 15:30:22 UTC 2011

Foodies (and some others) are also fond of laudatory "sinful" (or "sinfully delicious").

--Charlie

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Jonathan Lighter [wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2011 11:03 AM

But seriously. The psychological trigger for laudatory "ridiculous" may be
that something is so astonishingly good, that if anybody had described it
beforehand, the normal, well-ordered mind would have scoffed.

Similarly, laudatory "outrageous" may embody the idea that squares would be
outraged at the brilliant, defiant audacity of the thing.

Of course, one of the first times I heard it, it was applied to a natural
landscape. But ignore that part.

JL