"The N-Word of the Narcissus." By Joseph Conrad

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Thu Apr 7 22:45:45 UTC 2011

        In case you were wondering (and I certainly had some doubt),
this is a real thing:  A publisher has issued The N-Word of the
Narcissus.  The introduction explains:

        <<This new edition of Joseph Conrad's classic "tale of the sea"
is being presented as a "public service," and indeed it is such, for by
employing the simple expedient of replacing the n-word with "n-word"
through the text, it has enable the restoration of an otherwise
neglected, if not shunned, work to deserved attention.  Yes, Conrad's
"The N-word of the Narcissus" is a neglected classic, frankly (and there
can be no other explanation) for the liberal use it makes of the n-word,
scattered throughout its pages, a jarring phenomenon to the
sensibilities of moderns used to avoiding that particular term like the
plague.>>

        Most of the reviews on Amazon are quite negative, even though
the publisher clearly has a point:  The book really has suffered from
its unfortunate title.  There does, however, exist an alternative:  The
original publication in the United States used the title The Children of
the Sea: A Tale of the Forecastle, so republication under that name
would seem to be unproblematic (and I don't think that the unexpurgated
text would present the same problem posed by the title).  I don't think
I'm too far off the mark, therefore, in suspecting that The N-Word of
the Narcissus is essentially a stunt.

John Baker