bogus Aeschylus quote?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 9 02:36:44 UTC 2011

Two more translations from _Agamamnon_:

1975 Robert Fagles, trans. _The Oresteia_ (rpt. N.Y.: Bantam Books, 1982)
112: [W]e must suffer, suffer into truth.

1991 Frederick Raphael & Kenneth McLeish, trans. _Aeschylus: Plays: Two_
(rpt. London: Methuen,1993) 9: Knowledge is born of suffering.

Neither version has the cynical ring of "The reward of suffering is
experience."

Different _Zeitgeist_, I guess. But apparently no Greek scholar has actually
translated the words as quoted by MacNamara and many others.

JL