Virgil and context

Sat Apr 9 17:40:14 UTC 2011

The Latin text (in variant forms) has been used as an inscription on
other memorials.

The Valiants Memorial in Ottawa Canada unveiled in 2006 is dedicated
to Canadian military veterans and it uses the phrase: "Nulla dies
umquam memori vos eximet aevo".

http://books.google.com/books?id=-hcSnYut8wQC&q=Nulla#v=snippet&

Cite: 1888 May, St. Nicholas, Girard College by Alice Maude Fenn,
Volume 15, Number 7, The Century Co., New York. (Google Books full
view)

Close to the main building is a very handsome monument erected to the
memory of the Girard graduates who were killed during the war. Around
the base are the words:

Erected, A.D. 1869,

To perpetuate the memory and record the services of pupils of this
College who, in the then recent contest for the preservation of the
American Union, died that their country might live.

"Fortunati omnes! Nulla dies Umquam memori vos eximet aevo."*

*A literal translation of this Latin inscription reads: "Fortunate all
ye! No day shall  e'er remove you from a mindful age."

http://books.google.com/books?id=cBIbAAAAYAAJ&q=Nulla#v=snippet&

If the denotations and connotations of a phrase are somehow fixed for
all time by the initial context of application then one must await
additional archaeological discoveries to determine the "true" meaning
of a phrase such as "Nulla dies umquam memori vos eximet aevo." For
example, some future investigation might reveal that the Latin phrase
was first employed before Virgil's text to commemorate a group of
villagers who were massacred by a marauding army.

This would upend and discredit the Virgilian meaning. It would become
a travesty to use the phrase to commemorate warriors when its primal
(and hence overruling) use was to condemn militaristic savagery
directed against innocents.

Alternatively, one might contend that the meaning of a phrase is
determined only in part by the palimpsest of previous uses. It is also
determined by envisioning future uses that are not arbitrarily
straitjacketed by previous cultural identifications.