play pepper

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 12 02:54:20 UTC 2011

Excellent find on the "pepper game" in a story about Satchel Paige. But
I also found references to "pepper" in Ty Cobb's book and they actually
had nothing to do with baseball! My initial guess was very similar--that
"peppering" the balls might have had a relation to usage of "pepper" as
a verb for spreading/spraying small missiles, e.g., shot. However, I
found no evidence for this lineage whatsoever.

Relying on GB has its drawbacks and much more needs to be checked with
in newspaper databases (e.g., searching for "pepper+baseball") in order
to get a complete picture. But my preliminary interpretation goes in a
different direction.

     VS-)