the jig is up

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Wed Apr 13 02:03:29 UTC 2011

--

IIRC "jigaboo" with the appropriate sense is only from the 1920's. HDAS
shows some bracketed examples of "jijiboo" etc. earlier, with unclear

Nowadays we see on the Internet "we[e]aboo" [usually derogatory] =
"Japanophile" or "non-Japanese who desires to be/act Japanese": supposed
origin from a nonsense word in a comic strip, but I dunno.

-- Doug Wilson