Q re "lynching"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 14 05:38:23 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 8:08 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
> were the actions of such "self-created judicial
> tribunal[s]" aimed specifically at slaves, or rather at a general
> perceived lawlessness at the time

I can't vouch for the truth of this assertion, but it's been claimed
that, beginning with the formation of the Republic of Texas in 1836,
Texas is the only state in which more whites have been lynched than
blacks, since cattle-rustling and horse-theft, white-on-white crimes
against property in West Texas not likely to be perpetrated by slaves
laboring in the cotton, rice, and cane fields of East Texas, were
capital crimes subject to punishment by a low-tech, real-time
lynching.

--
-Wilson
-----