Who knew?! ;-)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 16 19:38:28 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 8:20 AM, Jonathan Lighter
<wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> To a more literal era, Swift's "after your Arse" would have meant only
> "_behind you; in your wake_."

The OED notes exactly that. But what I find interesting is that that
is precisely the meaning that I would assign to the phrase today,
under whatever circumstances that I happen to hear it or read it. I
can't think of any other possible interpretation. It's eerie, even as
an instance of complete and totally-random coincidence.

BTW, does your "meant _only_" intend to say that there's another
possible, incorrect interpretation available that has escaped my
notice? Why does anyone feel that that addendum WRT the proper
analysis is necessary? Well, I can WAG that editors of the OED may
feel that the string *lacks* any clear interpretation. So, they've
supplied one.

Youneverknow.

But you?

"Oh, no, John! No, John! No, John! No!" :-)

Ever been in one of those situations in which you have to introduce
one friend to another, but you keep blocking on the name? Till,
finally, you give up and admit it? "I'm really embarrassed, Wilson,
but I just can't think of your name!"

I don't know that that's ever happened to anyone in reality, but it
makes for a funny, New Yorker- school cartoon, right up there, IMO,
with, "John, this is Bill. Bill, this is goodbye," WRT introductions.

OTOH, as to whether anyone was using _peece_ in the sense of "of arse"
back in the day, WTF? It's possibly a possibility, but *I* "don' know
f' sho'." Your guess is better than mine! :-).

--
-Wilson
-----