very minor note on "lady"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Apr 17 01:24:56 UTC 2011

A female acquaintance (early 60s) told me she had struck up a
conversation today with a woman at a Home Depot (Boston metro west,
in or near Sudbury) by complimenting the woman on the attractive
color of her coat.  The woman replied, "It would look good with your
hair color, lady".  (I won't swear that the whole sentence is
accurate, but I -- surprised at the use of "lady" -- I asked my
friend whether the woman had actually said "lady", and she said yes.)

Perhaps ladies in Home Depots are lower class than ma'ams in, say, Nordstroms.

Joel