Viral marketing, going viral - Dawkins and Hofstadter

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 17 16:42:46 UTC 2011

I don't see any disagreement in principle. I simply see no reason for
crediting Hofstadter and/or Dawkins in particular, since neither wrote about
"going viral" and it's been known for decades that viruses spread rapidly by
contact.

Apposite too is that for most people, "virus" seems to be a general synonym
for "any contagious illness."  So a "viral video" spreads like the common
cold (which, almost by coincidence in this case, actually is caused by
viruses).

JL