Who knew?! ;-)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 17 23:17:02 UTC 2011

The precise semantic analysis, then and now, may be to some extent up for
grabs (no pun intended).

But it may be significant that the current "my/your/his/her/?its ass" is
virtually unattested before the first slackening of publishing taboos
ca1930.

Of course, we do have one Civil War-era "fucked up" and a couple of late
19th C. "motherfuckings" compared to which the relevant use of "ass" would
seem almost boringly inevitable, even for that era.  In certain circles.

JL