more TV lingo

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Apr 18 20:24:04 UTC 2011

At 2:56 PM -0400 4/18/11, Eric Nielsen wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 9:07 AM, Jonathan Lighter
><wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>>  The animated spy-sex-and-torture farce called "Archer" airs weekly on FX.
>>  _Time_ and the _Times_ are among the wild ravers.
>>
>>  From a recent episode:
>>
>>  "With shit-tons of weed":  lots; "shitloads" [144,000 Google hits]
>>
>>  "These potatoheads": Irish people; "micks." [in HDAS files; 500,000+ Google
>>  hits on "Irish potatohead"]
>>
>>  "Holy shitsnacks!": "Wow!" [ca1000 hits, most connected with "Archer"]
>>
>>  "How about 'Citizen Dickbag'?" : "jerk," "douchebag," etc. [40,000 hits]
>>
>>  JL
>>
>>  The title "Archer" really caught my eye when I first noticed it in the TV
>listings: A nod to great gumshoe literature: Sam Spade's partner, Miles
>Archer in "The Maltese Falcon"----Ross MacDonald's, Lew Archer

--who was also the lead character in a very short-lived eponymous TV
series in the 70s, played by I forget who.  Paul Newman's "Harper",
in the eponymous movie, was a mutation of (MacDonald's, not
Hammett's) "Archer", the name changed for a reason I've long since
forgotten, if I ever knew.  Maybe the movie-makers were afraid
audiences would riot when they realized no bows or arrows were
involved.

LH