"unsuck" (UNCLASSIFIED)

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 21 21:29:13 UTC 2011

Not applicable to "eat shit", which is on the list for a different reason
(scatological humiliation) or "eat pussy" (truly a standout--and, I bet,
fairly rare, compared to the rest), but there is another reason why all this
terminology is associated with sausage factories, such as prisons and the
military. It's the homosexual overtones of the expressions, which provides
an additional layer of insult on top of just plain vulgarity and another way
to debase the target. In this sense, it correlates to imperatives--"Suck my
dick!", "Blow me!", "Eat me/my dick!" (but then there is also "Kiss my ass!"
and "Eat shit!", which are just scatological humiliation without added
homosexual overtones). It also parallels other insults (or mock-debasement),
particularly ones that suggest anal intercourse, e.g., "Well, that really
fucked him up the ass!", "Up yours!" (... waiting for Wilson to comment),
"Oh, yeah! He took it up the ass, like a good soldier." Once the expressions
emerge outside the confines of sausagefest, they lose the homosexuality
aspect and the additional debasement that comes with it--perhaps another
reason for partial devulgarization.

VS-)