It and Those

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 23 13:48:48 UTC 2011

My reading is as John's. "Those" appears to mean an abundance of "It."
Parker, on a moment's reflection, surely might have expected her male
readers to associate "those" with breasts. Which is not to say that either
she or "those" actually "meant" breasts. Let's say their existence merely
provides extra resonance for most readers of the sentence.

Flapper fashions actually downplayed the breasts. The idea was that the
Modern Girl should be  tomboyish and energetic rather than overtly
seductive, a pal rather than a pre-1917 romantic idealist or a 21st Century
sex'n'power dynamo.

JL