"steam boat" 1786, antedates 1787

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 24 16:20:18 UTC 2011

Sorry, I don't understand what myth was busted.

According to this site, there were several scale models built before the
full-size demonstration in 1787:

http://patentpending.blogs.com/patent_pending_blog/2005/05/fitchs_steamboa.html

It also claims that "Fitch got a license from New Jersey for all steam
navigation of rivers in the state, which they thought was a throw away,
since steam navigation of rivers was considered preposterous."

This is not inconsistent with any of the facts presented.

DanG