"this sucks" (and more)

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Tue Apr 26 18:33:28 UTC 2011

Another story is the episode of "Vicar of Dibley" wherein the ditzy verger has
been asked to read at the next service from an old Bible.  The episode ends with
her about to recite (I may not have the phrase exactly) "Christ's succor".

Joel

----- Original Message ----
From: Charles C Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sent: Tue, April 26, 2011 9:46:28 AM
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] "this sucks" (and more)

A fairly well-known academic legend tells of a professor who belatedly (and, it
now seems, archaically) asks a secretary to type and duplicate a poem for use as
a handout to accompany his lecture, and he gives her an old facsimile text (in
some versions of the legend, of Donne's "The Good Morrow"; in others, of
Shakespeare's song "Where the bee sucks, there suck I").  The secretary,
unfamiliar with the "long s," mistakes the word "suck" for "fuck" (or should I
say substitutes "suck" with "fuck"?), so that the blindly-distributed handout
shockingly reads "fuck."

--Charlie