"hone through"

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 27 03:52:39 UTC 2011

I found the following odd usage of “hone” on the Kendall College web
site.  The first 100 google hits for "hone through" show no other
examples of this usage.   There were a lot of examples of “hone
through” in the sense of running a hone through something and a lot of
misspellings for “bone,” “shone,” “phone,” etc..  There were a number
of instances of honing skills through practice, and that seems a
likely route by which this example arose.

"At Kendall, we start with the fundamentals, then incorporate advanced
culinary techniques and skills. Students hone through this knowledge
by practicing them in real-world environments beyond the classroom,
including the two Kendall restaurants and through mandatory
internships."
http://culinary.kendall.edu/academics/aas-culinary-arts/

I did find the following oddity in a Singapore legal document, but I
think the writer might have intended “fine-honed”

"Emergency and contingency plans should be developed to deal with
disaster should they occur. Such plans should also be tested and fine
hone through regular exercises and drills."
http://www.adrc.asia/countryreport/SGP/SGPeng98/index.html

Herb