(across the) "block" ~= street, and the OED?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 29 18:43:24 UTC 2011

The "300 block" usage was unknown to me also in NYC, but it is very common
elsewhere.

Those "W. 72d St." signs have been there for as long as I can remember.  The
reason is that the division between East Side and West Side begins (or
perhaps "began") on the West (Central Park) side of Fifth Avenue.

In practical terms, it is absolutely inconsequential because it has no
effect on address numbers on Fifth Avenue. There are no addresses "on" W.
72d St. as it wends its way toward Central Park West, or on any of the other
handful of "transverses" through the park. The W. 72d St. addresses begin on
the other side of Central Park.

Another ex. of people with not enough to do and not enough on their minds.

JL