Heard on The judges: "Ripping and running"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 30 08:21:18 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 8:38 PM, Jonathan Lighter
<wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> HDAS couldn't find "ripping and running" in print till the '70s.

I've been able to find documentation to take it back to 1965, with a
possibility of 1961.

"Trouble at Home (Blues)," by Silas Hogan.

Phrase: http://goo.gl/DiYgS (For "Look like..., read "Seems like...,"
to pick a nit)

Album:  http://goo.gl/2ryQw

Apparently, the single was released in 1961 or 1962. Cf. _Silas (my
maternal grandfather's first name, too) Hogan_ in W:pedia

and

Silas Hogan. Crowley, Louisiana, _ca. 1962_, Excello 2231, Blue
Horizon 2431 008, Trouble at Home. ©1965 Excellorec Music Co., BMI

FWIW:

Billboard - Feb 26, 2005 - Page 69

Vol. 117, No. 9 - 72 pages - Magazine - Full view
IN ADDITION TO SHARING his checklist of career achievements — "Hard
work, _rippin ', runnin'_, kickin' down stools, having a ball and
loving up some of the most beautiful women in the world" — Jerry Lee
Lewis provided tidbits about his ...
--
-Wilson
-----