Quotation about golf and a question about a word with missing letters W-m-n

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 1 17:38:24 UTC 2011

Golf has been played at Wimbledon Common since 1865, and there were
conflicts between the golfers and other park users toward the end of
the 19th century, and I can imagine a joke being made about young
girls chasing after golf balls in the park. No clue about the "w-m-n"
abbreviation, however.
DanG